The picture above shows a lamp I made from a plastic Ikea watering can (this particular model seems to have been discontinued… I couldn’t find it online) and an Ikea Vedum lamp.
The Vedum lamp looks like the picture below when it’s used as it’s supposed to be.
Here’s what I did:
(1) sawed off the tip of the watering can with a hacksaw.
(2) cut off two of the legs of the base tripod (couldn’t cut them all off because the wire runs through one of them and I didn’t want to risk damaging the rubber shielding).
(3) Pushed the fiber optic spray portion of the lamp through the spout, hiding the tripod inside the can.
(4) cut a hole for the power cord in the bottom of the can (in the photo the hole would appear at bottom right if it were visible).
(5) dropped a rock into the can to keep it from tipping over.
Crudely executed…. I’ve been meaning to make a nicer version of it for a long time but haven’t gotten around to it.
For more ideas about modifying existing Ikea products, check out ikeahacker.